Walworth Barbour American International School in Israel
July 27, 2018
Even Yehuda, Israel
WBAIS offers a highly competit
Full Time - Administration
Walworth Barbour American International School in Israel is seeking a High School Principal for the 2019-20 school year. The High School Principal is the educational leader of the AIS High School (grades 9-12) and is responsible for all aspects of the division’s operations. S/he serves on the senior leadership team and the principals group, as well as other leadership bodies as needed.
Responsibilities include the following:
• Maintaining congruence between the AIS mission and all aspects of the high school division.
• Acting as the educational leader of the division, responsible for its day-to-day operation, directing the activities of the members of the instructional team and the non-instructional staff in the performance of their duties.
• Serving as chief articulator of the high school program, associated expectations, behavioral guidelines, and other information necessary to ensure that all constituencies are fully informed, consistent with their individual roles.
• Observing, supervising, and evaluating faculty in the development and implementation of the curriculum, and reviewing and evaluating teacher performance.
• Providing an orderly, safe learning environment and a school climate that is positive and supportive.
• Ensuring compliance with legal requirements of government regulations and those agencies that examine and accredit the school.
• Making recommendations to the Head of School regarding the hiring and assignment of faculty.
• Establishing programs for the orientation of new teachers, for in-service training of all high school teachers, and to ensure that teachers are familiar with and adhere to school policies and practices.
• Overseeing the coordination of the co-curricular and extra-curricular activity programs of the high school; assisting in the planning and the presentation of school assemblies and programs; assisting in maintaining a comprehensive calendar of school events; keeping all constituents informed of various school programs and activities.
• Providing for the academic guidance of students and ensuring the maintenance of complete academic records on all students.
• Overseeing teachers’ grading practices and promoting best practices in standards-based assessment and reporting.
• Establishing guidelines for proper student conduct and maintaining student discipline consonant with school policies.
• Being a visible presence in all areas of the school; keeping the Head of School and leadership team informed of the general programs and activities of the school.
• Preparing a master school class schedule and assigning teachers and students to classes and other duties.
• Serving as a consultant to teachers in matters of classroom management, teaching methods, and general school procedures.
• Assisting in the admission process for the testing, interviewing, and evaluating of student applicants for enrollment.
• Supporting the school and its leadership.
• Performing other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
The ideal candidate possesses at least three years of successful experience as a school principal. He or she also has deep and successful experience in the following areas:
• Building consensus and managing change in a complex cultural environment
• Effectively using data or feedback for school improvement
• Effectively using or introducing AP and IB curriculums
• Promoting of best practices for supporting special-needs students
• Promoting of best practices in supporting the needs of English Language Learners
• Helping students, teachers and parents to discuss challenging or sensitive issues
• Promoting a compelling and informed vision of high school education and career preparation in the 21st Century, with an emphasis upon inquiry and deep learning
• Promoting student voice, engagement, motivation, and leadership skills
• Effectively and consistently enforcing policies or rules and making clear decisions
• Promoting adult development, including staff mentoring and supervision, professional development, and parent education
• Successfully recruiting and retaining teachers in an international environment
• Working with a mixed faculty of both locally hired and international teachers
TO APPLY: Please note that the search for this position is being managed by International Schools Services (ISS.) Please follow the link below for more information:
CONTACT: Beth Pfannl, Vice President for Administrative Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
About Walworth Barbour American International School in Israel
Established under the auspices of the American Embassy in 1958, The Walworth Barbour American International School in Israel (WBAIS) is an independent, co-educational Pre-K - 12 international school offering an American program leading to a US high school diploma.
With a present enrollment of approximately 600 students representing over 40 nationalities, AIS Israel is a diverse and vibrant community. Approximately 40% of AIS students are American, 40% from countries all over the world, and 20% Israelis. Children from the diplomatic families of over twenty countries and several dozen multinational corporations make up the 80% of students from the expat community.
AIS is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools (MSA). In 2008 AIS was awarded the International Credential. A new state-of-the-art 19-acre campus was opened in 2007 and is located in the town of Even Yehuda, a residential community approximately 20 kilometers north of Tel Aviv. The purpose-built campus includes four separate divisions, a performing arts building with 400-seat auditorium, full gym, cafeteria, library and media center, athletic fields, tennis and basketball courts, and an oly...mpic-sized pool.
During the 2014-15 school year, the AIS community identified seven key elements of what has come to be known as the WBAIS Profile of a Learner. This profile articulates what have been guiding principals for teachers and leaders and will continue to be an essential focus of the school into the future.
In 2016, WBAIS earned reaccreditation by the Middle States Association.