St Mary’s School is seeking an experienced, globally-minded Middle School Spanish Teacher beginning in August 2018. The ideal candidate's practice is rooted in growth mindset and a belief in the capabilities of all their students. We are looking for an open-minded candidate who can make their lessons relevant by connecting instruction to real-life conditions and events. Above all we are looking for a candidate who is passionate about their role as an educator.
Reports to: Head of Middle School
Status: Salaried, exempt, full-time, 10-month position
Purpose: To provide students with innovative and inspired experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth. Successful candidates will implement effective teaching strategies consistent with the International Baccalaureate (IB) program and the ACTFL standards.
Duties: • Collaborate with grade-level and exploratory teachers to determine, develop and implement meaningful lessons that fulfill the requirements of the school’s curricular program.
• Plan and conduct activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
• Design and carry out interpersonal communication tasks for pairs, small groups, and whole class instruction.
• Ensure that the course of study is modified for multiple levels of academic ability and previous experience of students.
• Create a safe classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate for the intellectual, emotional, physical and social growth.
• Conduct ongoing evaluations of student achievement through formal and informal assessments.
• Maintain records of academic performance with online grade reporting and parent-teacher conferences, both regularly scheduled and as needed.
• Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
• Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
• Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
• Maintain a professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents and members of the school community.
• Support the School and its leadership.
• Other duties as required by the Head of School and Division Heads.
1. Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university is required, Master's Degree preferred.
2. A comprehensive understanding of the application of best practices, inquiry based instruction, backwards design, and formative/summative assessment.
3. Evidence of applied ongoing professional development.
4. A clear commitment to the educational philosophy of the school.
5. Willingness to contribute ideas to enhance the respective academic programs.
6. Outstanding interpersonal skills with a strong customer service focus (internal and external).
7. Strong written and oral communication skills with an ability to communicate effectively with all stakeholders of the school.
8. Highly ethical team player.
9. High energy, self-starter with ability to successfully prioritize and multi-task in an atmosphere in which time-sensitive deadlines are the norm, as are interruptions.
10. Can successfully navigate an environment dealing with a wide variety of challenges, deadlines and a varied and diverse array of contacts.
11. Strong technology skills
12. Must be able to stand, sit and walk for extended periods of time.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life and disability plan options, a matching 401(k) retirement plan and paid time off throughout the school year.
For immediate consideration, please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference CAIS: * Cover letter with salary requirements * Resume * Statement of educational philosophy
About St. Mary's School
For more information about our school, please visit our website at www.smaa.org