Superintendent - Temple City Unified School District
Temple City Unified School District
September 10, 2018
Temple City, California
Competitive and Negotiable
Contract - Experienced
District: Temple City Unified School District
Salary: Competitive and Negotiable
Contact: Richard Tauer 626.802.7034
The Board of Trustees of the Temple City Unified School District invites energetic, highly qualified educators with strong collaborative leadership and managerial skills to apply for the position of Superintendent of a dynamic school district.
The Superintendent, as chief executive office of the district, provides the overall leadership for the operations of a comprehensive Pre K-12 school system, including curriculum, instruction, assessment, finance, budgeting, school facilities, human resources, and for the outreach, cooperation and communication with students, staff, parents, and the community.
Temple City is situated in a suburban community located approximately 13 miles east of Los Angeles, in the heart of San Gabriel Valley. It is an ethnically diverse community comprised of middle income families. The make-up of the 5,940 students is predominately Asian with Hispanic and Caucasian students making up most of the remaining percentage. Strong and engaged family support results in a high level of student participation and achievement.
The Temple City Unified School District was established on July 1, 1954. The District maintains four elementary schools, one intermediate school, one high school and one alternative school. The District employs approximately 308 certificated and 250 classified staff members. Classified employees are all part of the Merit System, under the authority of the Personnel Commission.
Five Board members are elected to staggered, four-year terms, with a high school student representative also serving for one year. The Governing Board is the policy making body; the Superintendent is the chief executive officer.
The District includes within its boundaries most of the incorporated City of Temple City, as well as small portions of San Gabriel and Arcadia, and some unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County. The District encompasses approximately four square miles.
The District maintains one comprehensive high school (9-12), one alternative high school (10-12), one alternative junior academy (7-9), one intermediate school, four elementary schools, and an adult education school. The population of the District’s service area is approximately 35,000.
The following positions/departments report directly to the superintendent: school principals, assistant superintendent, personnel services; assistant superintendent, instructional services; and chief business official.
The following represents standards to be used in the evolution of applicants and the selection of the superintendent.
The Temple City Unified School District seeks a superintendent who:
· Is personable.
· Is visible in the schools and the community.
· Is accessible to all.
· Is trustworthy.
· Has strong collaboration leadership style.
· Has strong organization and time management skills
· Is honest and operates with integrity.
· Is a problem-solver for positive short and long-term outcomes.
· Is a good listener and values input from groups and individuals throughout the organization.
The District seeks a superintendent who:
· Understands the culture of a small community.
· Communicates effectively with business and civic leaders and the district’s employees.
· Handles pressure from groups in context and is not reactionary.
· Attracts, appreciates, values and utilizes input from all stakeholders.
· Has knowledge of the Merit System
· Represents the district well.
The District seeks a superintendent who has:
· Successful teaching experience.
· Successful site administrative experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge/experience in curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
· Demonstrated knowledge/experience in finance, budgeting, and facilities.
· Background knowledge/experience in human resources.
· Knowledge of special education.
· Knowledge of technology in educational setting.
· Successful experience as a superintendent, deputy superintendent, or assistant superintendent.
· An earned doctorate degree is preferred.
The Board of Trustees is seeking to recruit highly qualified candidates. Through several community input sessions as well as an online community input survey, the Board has developed thorough screening criteria of desirable characteristics, knowledge, experience and leadership qualities to determine their next superintendent. Consultants will screen applications and recommend candidates to the Board for interviews and further consideration. Throughout the selection process, the candidates’ confidentiality will be carefully maintained and ensured. Any contract with Board members, in an attempt to influence the selection process, will be considered a breach of professional ethics. Board members reserve the right to visit the district and communities of a candidate prior to a final decision. The superintendent will be expected to begin employment as soon as possible after the selection is determined.
SALARY AND CONTRACT
The salary will be competitive and based upon qualifications and experience.
A multi-year contract will be considered.
All applications will be held strictly confidential. Each applicant is required to follow the procedures listed below. Those applicants wishing additional information should contact the Board Advisor, Mr. Richard Tauer at 626.802.7034 or Dr. Mark Skvarna at 626.705.5928.
· Official placement papers or five current letters of recommendation
Note: All materials will be acknowledged and treated confidentially.
ALL APPLICANTS MUST PROVIDE A COMPLETE APPLICATION AND SET OF REQUIRED MATERIALS BY THE CLOSING DATE OF FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, 2018 AT 4:00 P.M. TO BE CONSIDERED.
About Temple City Unified School District
Temple City is situated in a suburban community 13 miles east of Los Angeles. It is an ethnically diverse community comprised of middle income families. The District maintains four elementary schools, one intermediate school, one high school and one alternative school.