Our 2+1 Sino-US high school bridge program operates within a Chinese high school on the outskirts of Shenzhen, connected by bus to the Shenzhen Metro. The students spend half the day taking their Chinese high school classes and the other half taking their English classes in the different skill areas (reading, writing, and listening & speaking), as well as in American culture and AP, SAT, and TOEFL preparation.
The students are high schoolers who are on an international track. They will be doing their final year of high school at a university in the United States, during which time they will research and apply to US colleges.
This is a full-time (40 hours/week) position, with teachers expected to teach around 15 hours per week (each class period is 40 minutes long) and hold additional evening office hours. Teachers will prepare daily lesson plans, instruct students, develop and administer subject-specific assessments, assess student progress and provide feedback to various parties, collaborate with staff and other teachers, and participate in occasional weekend events.
In addition to very competitive pay (~20,000RMB/month), teachers will receive free housing in the teacher’s dormitory (standard studio apartment). Other benefits include: Chinese health insurance and work visa, two round-trip tickets between the US and Shenzhen per year, two-three weeks of paid winter vacation, four weeks of paid summer vacation, and paid time off for some Chinese and US public holidays.
This is a relatively new, entrepreneurial, and small but growing program that is in the process of expanding to other partner high schools within China. Opportunities exist for advancement within the organization for teachers who are motivated, conscientious, and willing to learn.
Contract length is negotiable but will ideally be two years. Start date is late-February, 2019.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher; Master’s in TESOL or related field preferred
- Teaching experience (ideally at the high school level) and TEFL certification
- Familiarity of higher education system in US
- Experience working with teenagers
- Experience living overseas preferred
- Patient and flexible about working in a dynamic and often-changing environment
- Conscientious and responsible, both in and out of the classroom
- Respect for a different culture and a desire to understand foreign experiences
- Motivated to teach and mentor Chinese teenagers
- Desire to live, work, and learn in China
Please send resume, a short cover letter, and availability to firstname.lastname@example.org and visit www.tup-academy.com to learn more.
Additional Salary Information: Salary negotiable depending on experience and qualifications.
About TUP Academy
TUP Academy creates and operates international education partnership programs. Its flagship program is the 2+1 Sino-US bridge program for Chinese high school students who plan to attend college in the United States.