Friends’ Central School is an independent, coeducational Quaker day school founded in 1845 and serving approximately 800 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located in the Philadelphia suburbs, the School has two campuses. The Middle & Upper Schools are located just outside of West Philadelphia in Wynnewood, and the Lower School is on our Old Gulph Road campus in the heart of Wynnewood.
The exceptional faculty at Friends’ Central offers a curriculum that is both intellectual and thoughtful, cultivating the intellectual, spiritual, and ethical growth of our students. Our pedagogy is grounded in continuing revelation, reflection, integrity, and a willingness to accept responsibility. From Nursery to grade 12, our students participate in a process designed to foster creative, critical, and flexible thinking, along with compassion. As they transform from playful children to skilled, self-possessed teenagers, they are always intellectually curious and engaged thinkers.
Friends’ Central prepares graduates to succeed in college and in life. Friends’ Central seeks candidates with a commitment to fostering an inclusive learning community who will address issues of diversity and enhance the Philosophy of Inclusivity and Awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement
Lower School Principal
The Lower School Principal is an inspirational and visionary educator who evidences an understanding of child development as well as a love and respect for children and the joys of educating them. An appreciation of the learning journey of the three- to eleven-year-old is essential. The Lower School is an environment characterized by excellent academics, a strong commitment to an integrated curriculum and thematic teaching, active participation in learning, and the collaborative spirit of its students and teachers. Attentiveness to detail, collegiality, a sense of humor, and warmth are important qualities as well as strong written and oral communication skills.
The Lower School Principal is one of three division heads and a member of the Core Administrative Team, who reports directly to the Head of School. In addition, this individual works closely with the Assistant Head of School for Academic Program. As the chief administrator of the Lower School, they supervise 43 teachers and staff and 224 students in Nursery through grade 5.
Responsibilities Include: Faculty
• Provide vision for and oversight of the development and implementation of the Lower School program, and with the Assistant Head of School for Academic Program, enhance cooperation and coordination between grades in the areas of curriculum, skill development, and faculty evaluation.
• Supervise and inspire Lower School teachers through ongoing communication and regular meetings.
• Challenge faculty with professional development opportunities to foster growth.
• Communicate regularly about Lower School activities and programs through parent gatherings, face-to-face meetings, and written communication.
• Lead parent discussions about child development, 21st century pedagogy, and curriculum innovation. • Serve as a resource for parents with regard to their own children in school; discipline strategies and social interactions among others.
• Articulate a clear, compelling vision of Quaker education.
• Share with prospective parents a passion for Friends’ Central, its children, and their learning.
• Work with the Director of Enrollment Management in marketing the Lower School; collaborate on formulation of admission strategy.
• Participate in interviews of Lower School applicants and review applicant folders.
• Cultivate relationships with incoming families, and make retention a priority by developing relationships with them that are ongoing from year to year.
• Commit to a strong internal marketing campaign aimed at retention.
Qualifications: • Seven to ten years of Lower School teaching experience preferred. • Three to five years of administrative leadership preferred. • Master’s degree in an academic subject field or in education is required.
About Friends' Central School
Friends’ Central School is an independent, coeducational, college-preparatory, Quaker day school, founded in 1845, serving 800 students in Nursery through grade 12. Located on two campuses in Wynnewood, Pa., Friends’ Central blends a rigorous curriculum with enduring Quaker principles of kindness, compassion, and generosity of spirit to create a solid foundation for a future of opportunity and success. Students at Friends’ Central School are taught to think critically and creatively, and they learn the value of good character and strong work ethic to develop into active and engaged citizens.
Friends’ Central seeks candidates who will enhance the philosophy of inclusivity and awareness articulated in our Diversity Statement.