This is an English language position, NO Chinese language proficiency required.
Full-time, Exempt Position
Join the vibrant community at the Chinese American International School's 150 Oak campus as a member of our Lower School English language faculty. Help us develop curious, flexible thinkers who understand, puzzle, and engage with the natural and scientific world around them! This role is a long-term substitute position for March through June 2019, with the possibility of joining the faculty full-time for the 2019-2020 school year.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
As CAIS aims to empower independent and inspired learners, we look for a candidate adept at student-centered pedagogy such as differentiation, project-based learning, and hands-on experiential inquiry. Our new Science Teacher will engage our students’ natural curiosity about scientific themes, guiding children in wondering, building, hypothesizing, and experimenting. This candidate will collaborate with grade level Chinese and English partner teachers to bring elements of STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics) into the experiences of our students. We hope this candidate will inspire our students to get curious, get creative, and, occasionally, get messy! The candidate will enjoy considerable autonomy in honing our existing curriculum while developing and innovating new materials around topics and themes such as geology, the solar system, weather, and the human body.
CAIS offers a dynamic dual culture setting, in which faculty are immersed in a culture of language learners. We look for a candidate who will embrace and participate in CAIS’s work to create an equitable, inclusive environment where all faculty, students, and families are supported in their individual identities.
Position responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
· Lead dynamic and engaging instruction in second through fifth grade science.
· Demonstrate teaching excellence, a growth mindset, professionalism, and integrity.
· Look to current trends in educational best practice, utilizing creative and out-of-the-box methodology to inspire a love of science and a confidence in scientific competence in students.
· Develop a positive intellectual, emotional, and social environment within the classroom and a class community in which all children feel valued and a sense of belonging.
· Actively support and collaborate on school initiatives.
· Work collaboratively and maintain standards of respect, courtesy, and mutual consideration with the school community, including students, staff, and parents.
· Communicate effectively, promptly, and proactively with families.
· Prepare assessments, grades, and progress reports according to school procedures.
· Teaching experience with demonstrated success
· Experience and/or proven passion with STEAM
· Commitment to meeting the needs of individual learners and promoting social and emotional development
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
· Dedication to equity and inclusion and ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds
VALUED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
We value, but do not require, the following attributes:
· Bachelor’s Degree in Science
· Teaching credential, Master’s in Education (M.Ed.), or equivalent
The CAIS Board of Trustees and administration are expressly dedicated to ensuring that CAIS is a great place to work. As a critical component of our strategic vision, the school has committed to attracting, developing, retaining, and rewarding top-tier faculty and excellent educators with a benefits package including:
· Salary scale benchmarked to the Bay Area’s competitive standards
· Robust opportunities for professional development, support, and growth
· Comprehensive insurance package (covering 100% of premiums for individual employee)
· Numerous opportunities to participate in international travel
Our three campuses are located in the heart of San Francisco and accessible by public transportation in San Francisco. The lively neighborhood echoes the school’s vital energy and provides ready access to cultural treasures such as the Asian Art Museum, SF Jazz, the San Francisco Symphony and more.