Wyoming Seminary seeks a dynamic History Teacher for the 2019/20 school year. Wyoming Seminary, or “Sem” as it is affectionately known, is situated in the beautiful Wyoming Valley of northeast Pennsylvania, famously dubbed the “valley with a heart.” In close proximity to the Poconos, the area contains many opportunities for outdoor pursuits with its picturesque mountains and lakes. Sem is also only two hours from New York City and Philadelphia.
Known as a school that encourages faculty and students to develop individuality and strength of character, there are abundant opportunities for student participation in a wide variety of well-developed athletic, artistic, and extra-curricular activities. Wyoming Seminary has always been a caring, diverse school that enrolls students from around northeast Pennsylvania, the United States and the world. With 175 years of successful educational service and a tradition of academic excellence, Wyoming Seminary enjoys a strong place in the independent school world.
Job responsibilities include:
· Full-time Teaching: Teach 4–5 high school courses in the history department. Emphasis is likely on US History and could include sections of World History and/or electives.
· Extra-curricular: Outside of the classroom, all faculty supervise two co- or extra-curricular programs. This could include coaching sports, running clubs, running study hall sessions, etc. It also includes 3 weekends a year supporting the residential life program.
· Advising: Faculty are generally expected to serve as mentor to student advisees throughout the students’ time at Wyoming Seminary. The advisor is also the main liaison between an advisee’s parents and Sem.
· Residential Life: Faculty living in campus housing play a critical role in cultivating Wyoming Seminary’s community-centered student dorm life. Dorm faculty share evening and weekend dorm duty and also regularly mentor, support, and guide students living in their dorm.
The ideal candidate:
· Has an undergraduate or masters degree in the content area they are teaching.
· Has 2+ years of teaching experience or a degree in secondary teaching.
· Is committed to their ongoing growth and development as a professional.
· Is invested in positively and actively contributing to the school’s growth and development.
About Wyoming Seminary College Preparatory School
Wyoming Seminary, or more affectionately known as "Sem," is the oldest coeducational independent college preparatory school in Northeastern Pennsylvania. Wyoming Seminary is a day and boarding school with two campuses three miles apart across from the city of Wilkes-Barre. The Lower School in Forty Fort is a day school with classes from preschool (age 3) through grade eight. The Upper School in Kingston is a day/boarding community with classes from grades nine through twelve plus a postgraduate year.