Job Purpose Statements: The job of "Assistant Principal - High School" is done for the purpose/s of supporting the Principal's and other assigned personnel's job responsibilities; receiving, distributing and communicating information to enforce school, district and state education policies; maintaining safety of school environment; coordinating assigned school site activities; assisting students to modify inappropriate behavior and develop successful interpersonal skills; and communicating information to staff, principal and the public.
Management Team Relationship:
1. Directly responsible to the principal.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Supports Principal for the purpose of assisting with their job functions of maintaining overall school site operation.
2. Meets with department heads and department representatives on matters related to curriculum and instructional programs.
3. Assists teachers in developing and coordinating areas of cur¬riculum and instruction by in-service and/or workshops.
4. Assists the principal in the interviewing and selection of staff members.
5. Assists in fostering good community and school relations, meet¬ing with teacher-parent community groups and organizations.
6. Assists in requisitioning supplies, services, and equipment.
7. Assists in supervision of buildings and grounds, including main¬tenance, safety, cleanliness, equipment, furniture, and issuance of keys.
8. Supervises safety program - fire drills, alert drills, earth¬quake drills.
9. Coordinates and/or supervises assignment of club advisors of teachers and other adult supervision of students.
10. Intervenes in occurrences of inappropriate behavior of students and/or parents for the purpose of assisting students in modifying inappropriate behavior, developing successful interpersonal skills and/or initiating disciplinary action.
11. Manages various school administrative functions (e.g. student disciplinary policy, school schedule, assigned personnel, etc.) for the purpose of enforcing school, district and state policy and maintaining safety and efficiency of school operations.
12. Prepares documentation (e.g. reports, correspondence, etc.) for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information.
13. Presents information on various topics for the purpose of communicating information and/or gaining feedback.
14. Assists in compilation of required reports.
15. Performs other related duties as assigned. Job Requirements-Qualifications:
Certifications: -Valid credential authorizing services as a California school administrator. -Valid teaching credential.
Experience Required: -Minimum of five (5) years successful elementary teaching experience preferred. -Prior job related experience with increasing levels of responsibilities in school setting.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities: Knowledge of laws and procedures related to attendance, discipline, and maintenance of a safe campus; ability to work with staff in a team setting; Skills, knowledge to appropriately manage personnel and programs, communicate effectively, problem solve. Knowledge of curriculum, education code, district policies. Knowledge of implementation of state frameworks and appropriate instructional strategies. Abilities to sit for prolonged periods, provide direction to others and make independent judgments, keep and maintain accurate records, meet deadlines, communicate with individuals of varied cultural and educational backgrounds, communicate in oral and written form. Significant physical abilities include reaching/handling/fingering, talking/hearing conversations, near/far visual acuity/depth perception/visual accommodation.
Must possess a California Administrative Services Credential. Must possess knowledge of methods and strategies used to instruct bilingual/culturally diverse students. Must be familiar with California State Standards in the subject area in which you hold your credential. Bilingual Spanish preferred. E.L. Authorization required. Master’s Degree desired.
Preference will be given to individuals who possess: Knowledge of proactive strategies and experience working with at risk students. Ability to work with staff in a team setting. Experience in working with culturally and linguistically diverse student population. Ability to supervise and evaluate staff, including teachers and support personnel.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATION PACKETS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. APPLICATION PACKETS MUST INCLUDE: Letter of Interest Resume Copy of Credentials(s), Transcripts and CBEST Score Report CLAD/EL Authorization required. Must complete SkillSurvey link for references after submitting this application, upon request.
Visalia Unified School District is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty and staff. Qualified candidates who represent diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Statement of Non-Discrimination/Harassment: (Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973): The district prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying in all district educational programs, activities, or employment on the basis and/or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, parental, pregnancy, family or marital status.
A copy of the District's Uniform Complaint/Sexual Harassment Policies can be found at: www.visalia.k12.ca.us/boardpolicies/BP1312-3.pdf
A copy of the sexual harassment policies for students and employees can be found at: http://www.visalia.k12.ca.us/boardpolicies/BP5145-7.PDF (students) http://www.visalia.k12.ca.us/boardpolicies/BP4119-11.pdf (employees)
For any questions concerning Title II, Title V, Title IX, or Section 504 please contact the following compliance officers:
VUSD Compliance Officers 5000 West Cypress Avenue Visalia, CA 93277 (559) 730-7300
Assistant Superintendent, Instructional Services (Special Education, Adult Basic Education, Consolidated Categorical Aid Programs, Migrant Education, Career Technical Education)
Additional Salary Information: (2018-19 Salary Schedule) Managers are required to purchase District health benefits and life insurance package (currently at $14,526)
Internal Number: #029-20
About Visalia Unified School District
Nestled close to the majestic Sierra mountains in the heart of California's San Joaquin Valley, the Visalia Unified School District is committed to providing students young and old with the tools and skills necessary to succeed in life.
Established in 1885, VUSD is the oldest school district in Tulare County. Our services span 214 square miles with a population base of over 135,000. Our family of schools includes 26 elementary schools, a newcomer language center, five middle schools, four comprehensive high schools, a continuation high school, an adult school,a charter independent study school, a K-8 charter home school, and a charter technical early college high school. Over 32,000 students Pre-K to adult are served through Visalia Unified School District.
Our outstanding workforce is comprised of 3,000 certificated and classified staff. They make our district the jewel of the Central Valley. Our district motto is "WE CREATE FUTURES".
Actual Daily Attendance rate over 95%
4,200 students served in afterschool programs in K-8
78% of all HS students are enrolled in 3 or more college prep. courses
Our buses drive over 750,000 mile...s each year.
Our custodial crews clean the equivalent of eleven hundred (1,100) 1,500 sq. ft. homes each day
We served over 3.2 million meals last year.