CalWest's client school, Academy of Our Lady of Peace, seeks a High School Science Teacher for the 2019-2020 school year to teach chemistry.
OLP is currently seeking to hire a full-time Science teacher, with a background in teaching chemistry and physics, who wants to make a positive impact on the lives of young women, who in many STEM fields are underrepresented. The position for the 2019-2020 school year, will begin onsite August 1, 2019. We are seeking an experienced teacher who will help implement our vision of becoming the leading high school for young women in San Diego. The ideal candidate will have experience teaching AP courses (especially AP Chemistry) and be comfortable teaching in both the Physical and Life Sciences. The immediate needs for teaching included Chemistry and AP Chemistry. Special consideration will be given to candidates with leadership experience within a school setting. The classroom teacher both models and communicates the school mission, philosophy, and core values while modeling behavior that inspires excellence, helping students grow to become young women of heart, faith and courage in the spirit of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
As a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) school, OLP places a strong emphasis on 21st-century learning skills across the curriculum. The professional culture at OLP is committed to continuous improvement and lifelong learning. Students are passionate about being involved in the school community, and OLP prides itself on graduating women leaders who are making a difference in STEM fields. Faculty are also expected to partner with students in supporting club leadership. The ideal candidate will have a passion and experience for mentoring club leaders such as Women in Science, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), the FIRST FRC Robotics Club, or the Society of Women Engineers.
Certification Required:Yes - Teaching Credential
Minimum Experience:3-5 Years
Qualifications:Bachelors in subject area
Prefer 3+ years teaching Science at a high school level
Ideal Candidate can step in as a Department Leader
At the time of submitting your application, OLP requires both a cover letter and resume, along with three references from supervisors who have seen your work directly, a CA teaching credential, or proof of current enrollment in an accredited credential program. Upon hiring you will be required to complete a TB test, Livescan fingerprinting, and provide all official transcripts.
- Understanding and comfort implementing the Next Generation Science (NGSS) Standards
- Use a cross curricular, interdisciplinary approach and actively seek collaborative approaches with teachers within and outside the department.
- Is proactive in setting up a student centered classroom environment that goes beyond the lecture/regurgitation format.
- Embraces a growth mindset approach to education, helping students develop through trial and error.
- Understands that not all students need the same thing and actively seeks to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all students.
- Pursues professional growth opportunities and returns to share knowledge and methodology with faculty and staff wherever relevant.
- Adapts to the changing needs of students and use of space and time in ways that will help prepare students for a changing, evolving future.
- Proactively seeks innovative techniques related to methodology, curriculum, assessment, use of data and professional growth and brings a positive attitude toward experimentation and modification of “traditional” teaching techniques.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues.
- Participates actively in the life of the school community in a manner which supports and promotes the mission and core values of the Academy of Our Lady of Peace.
- Seeks to create connections with members of the business/technology fields and with institutions of higher learning to provide unique learning opportunities for students.
OLP is a rigorous Catholic, college-preparatory, all girls’ school sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ). We are a school focused on providing young women a 21st century education that ubiquitously incorporates the CSJ charism into all aspects of the curriculum. Founded in 1882, the school is home to 750 girls in grades 9-12 and over 9,600 living alumnae. As the only remaining all girls' school in San Diego we are focused on providing our students access to STEM learning early on in their education. We are a diverse community with around 18% of our students crossing the border from Mexico to come to OLP. The school also attracts a diverse applicant pool coming from 79 different zip codes, 68% are students of color, and on average 16% are first generation college students. All applicants’ cover letters should articulate their interest in working at an all girl’s Catholic high school whose mission is to bring about unifying love, that all may be one, in service to the dear neighbor without distinction. Our mission brings about a curriculum and culture focused on social justice, global citizenship, committed to diversity and inclusion.
OLP requires both a cover letter, along with three references from supervisors who have seen your work directly, and verification of degree credentials. Upon hiring you will be required to complete a TB test, Livescan fingerprinting, and provide all official transcripts.
To be fully considered for this and all current and anticipated openings, we encourage you to upload your cover letter and resume to our website here: https://calwestlogin.com/apply (Current CalWest candidates need not apply here. Please email us at mysearch@CalWestEducators.com)
Please note: While we appreciate your interest, due to the large volume of applications received, we are unable to respond to all applicants or give individual application status updates; candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
About Cal/West Educators Placement
With team members nationwide, CalWest specializes in the placement of educators and school leaders throughout the western region of the United States. Over the years, we have excelled in building meaningful relationships with candidates and becoming trusted advisors to the independent school community. By partnering with us, you will experience the degree of time, energy, and personal involvement that we devote to each search.