Position is temporary, from Aug. 19, 2019-Nov. 5, 2019
Deliver relevant lessons that the current teacher will provide that maximize student engagement and achievement in the areas of United States history.
Create a positive educational climate for students to learn in an atmosphere of respect and rapport.
Utilize a variety of teaching practices and methodologies that incorporate various learning modalities. Teacher will leave lesson plans to follow for the length of leave.
Observe, evaluate and monitor student performance and mastery of standards. Substitute will need to grade assessments left by primary instructor.
Manage student behavior in the classroom by utilizing effective classroom management strategies.
Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with students and families based on trust, understanding and respect.
Background in teaching history preferred;
excellent understanding of the social, emotional, and academic needs of Upper School students and how to enthusiastically provide for them;
the ability to differentiate a rich, varied, and developmentally appropriate curriculum based on best practices and current research;
a desire to work in a diverse and inclusive school environment;
ability to communicate respectfully, proactively, and honestly both verbally and in writing with parents, colleagues, and administrators.
About The Oakwood School
The Oakwood School Mission Statement:
The Oakwood School seeks to instill in its students the strength of character, the creativity, and the wisdom to make a difference in the world.
The Oakwood School Statement of Philosophy
The Oakwood School exists to help our students to learn and to love learning, to value themselves and others, adn to become contributing members of ever-larger communities.
The Oakwood School Belief Statements:
* We believe in respect, responsibility, and honesty to self and others.
* We believe students become enthusiastic lifelong learners and develop a sense of community in small classes where they are valued and supported by others and where their talents and energy are recognized and enhance the common life.
* We believe that the need to develop positive relationships with others is as basic to human nature as is the need to learn.
* We believe that students come to understand that their growth occurs in the context of others' needs and views; that their own gifts can enrich the lives of others; and that other human beings, however different, have inherent dignity and value.
* We believe that both within and beyond the school walls, students learn that service to others is one of the deepest satisfactions the human spirit can know.