Purpose: Directs and coordinates educational, administrative, and counseling activities of a middle or high school. Job responsibilities may be performed either personally or through subordinate supervisors and/or personnel.
1. Plans, organizes and directs the activities of a middle or high school with a specified number of students;
2. Cultivates a vision for the school with measurable goals and strategies for implementation;
3.Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the school district’s policies, procedures and applicable laws;
4. Utilizes data to develop and monitor educational goals and initiatives that promote improved academic achievement for all students;
5. Utilizes data to develop and monitor student behavioral/health initiatives;
6. Confers with teachers and students concerning educational and behavioral initiatives in the school;
7. Supervises the instructional program and assists teachers in personal growth improvement;
8. Manages subordinate supervisors, teaching staff and support staff within assigned school;
9. Plans, assigns and directs employees’ work responsibilities;
10. Assumes responsibility for interviewing , hiring, training and appraising the work performance of all employees;
11. Assumes responsibility for the overall direction, coordination and evaluation of all activities within assigned school;
12. Plans and monitors the school budgets, including the requisition and allocation of supplies, equipment and instructional materials as needed;
13. Directs preparation of class schedules, cumulative records and attendance reports;
14. Addresses concerns and resolves problems;
15. Provides for the safety and security of all students and staff by walking about the school campus and facility and planning and directing building maintenance;
16. Develops and implements a professional growth plan;
17. Establishes and maintains relationships with colleges, community organizations and other schools to coordinate educational services; and
18. Performs all other duties requested by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications: Masters; minimum of three years teaching experience; two years experience as an Assistant Principal, or an equivalent administrative position; SC Certification in appropriate school level administration
Preferred Qualifications: Five years teaching experience; three to five years administrative experience
Additional Salary Information: *Compensation based on experience and school assignment
About Charleston County School District
Charleston County School District (CCSD) is the second largest school system in South Carolina representing a unique blend of urban, suburban, and rural schools that span 1,000 square miles of coastal lands. CCSD serves more than 49,000 students in over 85 schools and specialized programs. CCSD offers a diverse, expanding portfolio of options—including neighborhood, charter, and magnet schools—and is divided into elementary, middle, secondary, and alternative programs, each led by an Executive Director of Schools. With approximately 5,800 employees district-wide, CCSD is the fourth largest employer in the region.