Reporting to the Head of School, the Director of Enrollment Management (DEM) at Buckingham Browne and Nichols School (BB&N) is a member of the Senior Leadership Team and is responsible for leading the strategic and operational components of enrollment, developing the research necessary to inform decision-making, as well as the oversight of student recruitment, financial aid, and enrollment efforts. The DEM leads enrollment management discussions and manages the Admission Office’s 12 full and part-time staff, located on three separate campuses, and is responsible for all enrollment management and financial aid staff, activities, and budgets on three separate campuses (Lower School, Middle School, Upper School). Working closely with the Chief Learning Officer, Campus Directors, Chief Financial Officer, and Communications Team, the DEM guides all processes that support the School’s enrollment and re-enrollment efforts. An essential part of the School’s recruitment and enrollment of students, the DEM oversees the administration of the admission and financial aid budgets, which requires sensitivity to economic, cultural and other issues present in the enrollment of a diverse student body. The DEM also oversees all re-enrollment efforts, constituent volunteer efforts, and all recruitment, enrollment and matriculation efforts, up to welcoming new families to school in August/September.
The DEM plays a vital role in the BB&N community and will be expected to strengthen the enrollment management infrastructure, starting with the existing strengths of the Admission Office, along with providing leadership in the facilitation of an enrollment management mindset. The DEM will conduct research and implement strategies to ensure that the School achieves the enrollment goals set by the Board of Trustees and Head of School.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides leadership in enrollment management, which includes admission, marketing, and
recruitment and directs the process of attracting, enrolling and retaining students at BB&N.
2. Responsible for all enrollment management and financial aid staff, activities, and budgets on three
separate campuses (Lower School, Middle School, Upper School)
3. Sets annual enrollment and admission goals, in accordance with the School’s mission, to promote
essential elements of diversity in the student body, based on enrollment goals set by the Board of
Trustees and Head of School.
4. Organizes and administers the School’s financial aid program and budget in conjunction with the
Director of Financial Aid.
5. Manages new student enrollment and the reenrollment of current students by working in close
connection with school leadership.
6. Understands and informs the Leadership Team, admission staff and community about research,
demographics and other relevant enrollment trends, ensuring that changes and challenges are
anticipated, understood, and addressed.
7. Develops and implements strategic marketing ideas designed to enhance enrollment, in
collaboration with the Marketing/Communications Team.
8. Develops an annual Admission and Enrollment Action Plan with goals and objectives.
9. Ensures the internal constituents understand and embrace a customer service orientation intended
for all families from the prospective to enrolled phases.
10. Attends Board of Trustee and Board Finance Committee meetings and is involved in strategic
planning and keeps the Board fully apprised of the School’s admission & financial endeavors.
11. Maintains statistical and trend data related to admission and enrollment. Presents statistical and
trend information to the Leadership team, Board of Trustees, and faculty.
12. Manages an Admission Office staff of 12.
13. Directs BB&N’s outreach recruitment plan.
14. Works directly and in collaboration with the communications/marketing team on the management
and creation of all admission publications and communications, including the school’s view book
and other print materials, and the web site.
15. Works closely with the Advancement Office in coordinating the Admission Office volunteer
16. Works closely with the Student Life leadership on retention-related issues and student life.
17. Provides training and professional development opportunities for admission staff.
18. Participates as an active member of the Leadership Team.
19. Oversees all on-campus visitation programs-including interviews and spring accepted student
20. Directs the entire application review process, and assigns reading and committee assignments to
associates in the office, faculty, and staff.
21. Represents the School at public events, on and off campus.
22. Maintains and encourages relationships with feeder schools, counselors, and consultants.
23. Represents BB&N in all appropriate organizations and professional communities.
24. Is an integral leader for the school community and participates fully in daily community life of the
25. Extends oneself beyond the responsibilities of a job description when the need arises. Assists
•Minimum 5 years of admission/enrollment management experience and a strong understanding
of the budget drivers that impact school finances
•Strategic thinker and creative problem-solver with ability to see the big picture
•Superior communication skills both written and spoken
•Superior interpersonal, organizational, leadership and managerial skills
•Abundant energy, flexibility, warmth, a ready sense of humor.
•Skilled and facile with technologies that support student record management, analytical
reporting, office operations, and social media.
•Significant experience using technology including databases, spreadsheets, and Google forms.
•Fluency with database management software preferred
•Comfortable with the use of data to make strategic enrollment management decisions and to
create effective board reports
•Able to manage multiple complex tasks, meet tight deadlines, and changing demands
•Commitment to confidentiality and good judgment on sensitive matters
•Skilled manager who enjoys identifying and developing talent and has consistently created highfunctioning
teams and a welcoming atmosphere within the department
•Experience as a teacher, coach, advisor, at multiple grade levels from grades PK-12 is a plus
This 12-month position includes five -weeks’ vacation.
About Buckingham Browne & Nichols
BB&N, a coeducational day school in Cambridge, MA, was established in 1974 by the merger of two independent schools, the Buckingham School and the Browne & Nichols School, founded respectively in 1889 and 1883. Located on multiple campuses, we work as one School in pursuit of excellence. We celebrate the diversity of our community, which enriches our daily experience. At BB&N we foster intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and a deep concern and respect for others.
BB&N’s mission is to promote scholarship, integrity, and kindness in diverse, curious, and motivated students. The School prepares students for lives of principled engagement in their communities and the world. We value a diverse and inclusive community that fosters respect for the identities and perspectives of all.