We are seeking a culturally competent 4th- and 5th-grade teaching assistant to work with a dedicated, diverse community. Teaching Assistants work alongside Lead Teachers to support students with remote learning, classroom management, academic and social-emotional curriculum design and implementation, differentiated instruction, and much more. Teaching Assistants lead our Partner Pal program and take the lead on yard duty oversight.
Position Status: Full-Time
Reports to: 4/5 Lead Teachers and Head of School
Assist Lead Teachers (LT):
• Helps to maintain 4/5 classroom environments.
• Prepare for daily activities, including general clerical tasks.
• Sometimes lead students in social-emotional activities in cross-grade groupings.
• Instruct small and large groups of children, as needed.
• When appropriate, refer parents to Lead Teachers.
• Support with technology for remote learning in both 4/5 classrooms.
In absence of Lead Teacher:
• Assume lead teaching schedule and classroom duties.
• Follow teacher's lesson plans and set up classroom.
• Act as Lead Teacher when primary LT is absent. Guide substitute on the day’s plans and Teaching Assistant’s yard/lunch/break schedule.
• Notify parents in case of child illness/injury.
Attend school-wide events and staff trainings
Teaching Assistants shall be responsible for the safety of all children when on schoolyard at recess and lunch. This includes, but is not limited to, consistent monitoring, disciplining, and/or facilitating conflict resolution for the following behaviors such as: use of inappropriate language, teasing, physical aggression, exclusion, etc.
Curriculum: Assist in planning curriculum and teaching of Partner Pals program.
• 2+ years working with school-aged children
• Bachelor’s degree (preferred)
• Committed to academic excellence and culturally responsive teaching
• Understands child growth, development, and social needs
• Possesses strong communication and organizational skills
• Open and motivated to work collaboratively
• Responsible and enthusiastic
• Exhibits a strong commitment to working in a diverse, multicultural community
• Loves children/has experience with children (required)
Additional Salary Information: COMPENSATION/BENEFITS:
Aurora offers competitive compensation.
Full-Time Teaching Assistants are eligible for medical, dental, life insurance, and retirement benefits.
About Aurora School
Aurora School’s mission is to nurture children’s love of learning by cultivating academic excellence, emotional intelligence and social engagement. Established in 1988, Aurora is an independent K-5 school that combines challenging academics, small multi-age classes, differentiated instruction, and a keen awareness of children’s social and emotional development. We strive to foster students’ development into self-aware, confident life-long learners and leaders who step up to advocate for themselves and others, throughout school, in our Oakland community and in the world at large. Our talented staff provide a safe learning atmosphere that extends beyond the classroom to every aspect of the school. The result is that Aurora graduates have a strong and solid foundation for middle school and beyond.
Aurora School is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, creed, gender, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity and expression, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, or any other unlawful consideration.