Under the direction of the Golf Course Superintendent, the Assistant Superintendent manages and supervises the professional golf course grounds personnel. Assistant Superintendent will play a vital role in daily routine maintenance, capital purchasing and long-range planning.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Individual that is eager to learn and willing to perform a lead role in championship golf course conditioning for members and guests
- Responsible for training staff in all areas of course maintenance, including the proper care and storage of all equipment and materials
- Forward-thinker that is detail-oriented and possesses a keen eye to promote a positive working environment
- Assist in an intricate water management plan including hand watering and syringing, irrigation program set-up and adjusting run times as needed
- Safety in all golf maintenance areas, including the shop, all equipment, course, roadways, chemical usage, and storage, is paramount.
- Work with the Lead Mechanic to ensure that all equipment is properly cleaned and stored.
- Supervise and participate in chemical and fertilizer applications to ensure proper handling of materials, including maintaining inventory and adequate record management
- Ensure a professional appearance of staff, courses, equipment, and the shop is an essential part of this position.
- Help prepare and conduct morning staff meetings to ensure team members are well informed and safe while performing proper maintenance of greens, tees, fairways, and roughs, emphasizing environmental stewardship
- Assist in discussions with the USGA, architect, and irrigation consultant during planning stages for U.S. Senior Open and complete Irrigation and pumping system replacement.
- Participate in continuing education opportunities to further develop skills and remain progressive
- Recommend purchases and assists in maintaining inventory levels
- Liaise with the Golf professional staff on course conditions through daily updates
The Assistant Superintendent maintains a supervisory role per club policies and applicable laws and regulations. The individual will play a vital role in recruiting, interviewing, and training staff, planning a daily schedule, and assigning duties.
Education and/or Experience:
Graduate of an accredited college or university with a degree in Turfgrass Science is preferred. A minimum of three-years golf course maintenance experience is required.
Possess good communication and coaching skills
Possess a working knowledge of championship golf course conditioning and team building, including equipment operation, water management, course construction, and professional development.
Willing to participate in volunteer opportunities at major golf championships throughout the country
Additional Salary Information: Health Care, Vacation, Sick, 401K, Annual Bonus, Uniforms, Dues (Regional, State and, National), Continuing Education, Golf Privilege's, Professional Advancement and USGA, PGA, LPGA Volunteer Opportunities Available
About Saucon Valley Country Club
Saucon Valley Country Club is accepting resumes to fill the position of Assistant Superintendent. Saucon Valley is a full-service private country club spanning 850 acres, offering Sixty holes of golf with three championship courses and a six-hole Short Course. Recognized by the United States Golf Association as a true test of skill, Saucon was chosen to host 8 USGA Championships, including the 2022 United States Senior Open Championship. The club is in the evaluation and planning stages of designing and installing a state of the art irrigation system encompassing all 850 acres. There have been 30 successful superintendents and industry leaders that have cultivated, enhanced, and advanced their careers through our professional development program over the last 16 years.