Charles Wright Academy (CWA), located on a beautiful, wooded 107-acre campus, serves students in preschool through 12th grade. The only coeducational independent preschool-12 school in Tacoma, Washington, CWA provides challenging, college preparatory academics that prepare students to thrive in college and in life. Equally important is a wide array of experiential education, artistic, athletic, and service opportunities that promote students’ social-emotional development and provide avenues by which they discover and pursue their passions. Close, respectful, and trusting relationships between faculty and students result in an environment in which all community members embrace both the hard work and the joy inherent in the journey of intellectual and personal growth.
CWA is safely operating in an in-person/hybrid education model, prepared to adapt to remote learning for any part of the 2021-22 year that is needed. We have resources available for training and preparation for faculty in best practices in remote teaching and learning.
Charles Wright Mission Statement: To inspire active, joyful learning while nurturing and challenging our students to develop the character, creativity, and skills to successfully navigate the future with confidence.
This part-time teaching position involves teaching one course in AP Computer Science. There is also the possibility of an additional section of Digital Citizenship course.
• Implement the AP Computer Science and AP Statistics curriculum
• Use a variety of instructional methods to create dynamic, engaging lessons, which support the diversity of learners within the classroom including on-campus and remote learners over Zoom
• Model enthusiasm for learning to students and inspire students to participate fully in the learning process
• Acknowledge and plan for the diversity of abilities and learning styles within the classroom
• Conduct ongoing assessments of students’ progress and maintain accurate records
• Communicate in a professional and timely manner with parents, colleagues, and administration
• Possible: Lead a major extracurricular responsibility
• Report to Upper School Director and attend faculty and community meetings.
• Other supervision duties as needed
Salary is competitive with other independent schools in the Pacific Northwest. This part-time position is not eligible for benefits.
The ideal candidate will have earned a bachelor’s degree in math or computer science; master’s degree preferred. Demonstrated, effective teaching experience in a high school setting. Experience in inquiry-based learning (PBL) as a teaching framework desired. The candidate must have a passion for the subject and the ability to deliver interesting, engaging lessons. The ability and willingness to lead a co-curricular activity (e.g., coaching) is important, and experience with outdoor education is particularly welcome.
Essential elements for the position include the ability to inspire young people, the capacity to work cooperatively with peers, a keenness for working with Upper School students, and a joyful sense of humor. Candidates should be able to work flexibly with various educational technologies and a familiarity with Google G-Suite for education and Mac hardware/systems is preferred
No phone calls or inquiries, please.
Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a national background screening and fingerprinting process.
Charles Wright Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/V/D.