Founded in 1967, The Overlake School is an independent, nonsectarian, coeducational, college preparatory day school located on a 75-acre campus in Redmond, Washington. The school serves 530 students in grades 5-12. Each Overlake community member is committed to the school's mission to inspire excellence, developintellectualcuriosity,teachresponsibility,embracediversity,andfosteracompassionatecommunity.
Overlake is committed to diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national or ethnic origin, socio-economic status, gender, sexual orientation, or disability in the administration of its educational policies, financial aid, employment, and other school-administered programs.
Fifth Grade Science Teacher (0.66 FTE)August 2021 - June 2022
Interested candidates are invited to apply online: www.overlake.org. Under Employment click CurrentOpenings and follow the instructions. Candidates must be able to pass a Washington State background check.
Description: The Overlake School seeks a 5th Grade science teacher. The current 5th Grade science curriculum focuses on foundational science skills including scientific inquiry and process, writing, and graphing. Emphasis is placed on student understanding of questioning and variables and their role in scientific inquiry through the lens of physical and earth sciences. Topics such as rocks and landforms as well as the brain and nervous system have been used as frameworks for learning science skills.
The ideal candidate is an outstanding upper elementary or middle grades educator who will work to ensure student success, both in an online and/or hybrid-learning format. The 5th Grade science teacher should contribute enthusiastically to our school community and will work closely with the 5th Grade team as well as with the Science department.
The Overlake School's strategic vision is to develop its capacity to have equity and inclusion at the institution's heart in its teaching and learning. We seek educators who can carry cultural competence and teach for equity and justice as central to their instruction.
Teaching Responsibilities and Duties: Teach two sections of 5th Grade science; lead a 5th Grade advisory (homeroom) four times a week; supervise 5th Grade Study Hall; and sponsor a Middle School club. Teachers are also required to attend 5th Grade team meetings, department meetings, and division and all-school faculty meetings.
Per our COVID-19 health and safety protocols, all persons who visit campus must complete a daily healthscreening.Regular school hours are 8:10am-3:30pm Mon.-Fri. on a rotating block schedule. Given that thispositionis0.66FTE,theteacherwillarrangetheirteachingschedulewithinthoseregularhourswiththesciencedepartmentchair and middleschooldivision head.
Salary: Competitive, dependent on education and experience
Successful candidates are teachers who inspire students to love science and scientific inquiry. Further, strong candidates must demonstrate the following:
· Bachelor's degree in science education or a related field
· Minimum two years relevant teaching experience
· Computer literacy and technological proficiency, with interest in incorporating technology into the classroom
· A desire to put cultural competency at the heart of their pedagogy and skill at working with a diverse population in an inclusive and equitable community
· Belief in the critical importance of diversity in the life of the school and excitement about working to build and maintain a classroom that honors diversity of opinion and practice
· Commitment to modeling and exhibiting high standards of scholarship
· Capacity to communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
· Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of the department and grade-level teams
· Online or hybrid learning experience
· Strong background in science and/or related fields
· A strong understanding of the developmental stages of middle school students
· A student-centered approach to teaching
· Experience designing curriculum and courses
· Familiarity with a variety of assessment styles
· Effective classroom management skills
· Natural rapport and demonstrated effective leadership with students
· Professional demeanor and ability to maintain confidentiality
· A background that contributes to the diversity of the community and respect for and understanding of diverse cultures and experiences
· Evidence of ongoing professional development
· Willingness and desire to contribute to Overlake beyond the classroom