BASIC FUNCTIONS: Responsible for the supervision of construction projects and general maintenance of the golf course(s). Will direct, lead, and disseminate duties and programs in harmony with the GM/Director of Golf. Establish agronomic and operational policies in cooperation with the General Manager and Director of Golf that meet the goals and long-term objectives of the facility.
- Requires advanced knowledge of agronomy and golf course management practices; a working knowledge of golf facility construction principles, practices and methods; and a thorough understanding of the rules and strategies of the game of golf.
- Requires knowledge of current federal, state and local laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations (including, but not limited to, employment, safety and environmental standards, laws and regulations).
- Must possess working knowledge of proper horticultural plant selection and maintenance.
- Requires a high degree of administrative and executive ability, especially in terms of problem solving and decision-making.
- Requires excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be willing to work long and varied hours.
- Must acquire applicable licenses and permits.
Prepares the annual budgets for the maintenance and capital improvement of the golf course property. The superintendent formulates the annual maintenance and capital budgets so as to implement corporate and facility policies in accordance with the long-range plan and defined maintenance standards.
Oversees the scheduling and routing of personnel and equipment to accomplish the work with maximum efficiency. The superintendent frequently inspects the golf course and related areas to evaluate how well management standards are being achieved and to effect necessary changes in management programs.
Interviews, hires, trains, directs, supervises, and performs evaluations for a staff of employees for the purpose of maintaining the golf course and related property. The superintendent is expected to follow company approved progressive discipline procedures but has the authority to terminate the employment of subordinates with the approval of corporate staff.
Acquires equipment and purchases necessary supplies to maintain the golf course and related property. The superintendent is responsible for inventory control and oversees the equipment maintenance programs. The superintendent approves all expenditures and exercises cost control measures to keep, as nearly as possible, operating and capital expenses in line with the approved budgets.
Keeps accurate and complete records on payroll, inventory, weather data, maintenance procedures, pesticide applications, etc.
Communicates regularly with fellow members of the management team and golf operations staff to discuss activities, goals, plans and member/customer input. It is desirable for the superintendent to play golf with members of this group on a regular basis.
Employs practices and procedures that are compliant with accepted environmentally sensitive principles. Protects groundwater and other resources from potential contaminants.
Maintains efficient operations of the golf course and grounds irrigation delivery and pumping systems. Will embrace irrigation theory that maximizes agronomic health and performance with an emphasis on conservation.
Plans all maintenance and project work, applying his or her agronomic and administrative expertise to achieve the agreed-upon maintenance standards and long-range goals.
Maintains regular communication with management staff, particularly as it pertains non-scheduled or budgeted occurrences.
Plays golf routinely to inspect the product quality.
Respond to any reasonable task assigned by GM/Director of Golf
ENVIRONMENT: Outside working conditions a majority of the time in a variety of weather conditions.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND TRAINING:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agronomy, Horticulture or related field preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated commitment to career learning and personal growth.
WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Minimum 3 years experience as Golf Course Superintendent
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with work experience
About Ratcliffe Golf Services, Inc.
Ratcliffe Golf Services is a multi-course operator in the Charlotte, North Carolina area. We manage daily fee facilities covering a wide range of segments, from Par-3 to championship length 18 hole regulation courses.