Charles Wright Academy (CWA), located on a beautiful, wooded 107-acre campus, serves students in preschool through 12th grade. The only coeducational independent preschool-12 school in Tacoma, Washington, CWA provides challenging, college preparatory academics that prepare students to thrive in college and in life. Equally important is a wide array of experiential education, artistic, athletic, and service opportunities that promote students’ social-emotional development and provide avenues by which they discover and pursue their passions. Close, respectful, and trusting relationships between faculty and students result in an environment in which all community members embrace both the hard work and the joy inherent in the journey of intellectual and personal growth.
CWA is safely operating in an in-person/hybrid education model, prepared to adapt to remote learning for any part of the 2021-22 year that is needed. We have resources available for training and preparation for faculty in best practices in remote teaching and learning.
Charles Wright Mission Statement:To inspire active, joyful learning while nurturing and challenging our students to develop the character, creativity, and skills to successfully navigate the future with confidence.
· Implement a music curriculum in Preschool through 5th Grade, which includes choral singing, Orff and percussion instruments, and instruction in basic musical concepts appropriate to the grade and developmental level of the students
· Use a variety of instructional methods to create dynamic, engaging lessons, which support a diversity of learners
· Impart the love of music and inspire students to participate fully
· Direct the 4th and 5th grade choir
· Prepare several concert opportunities throughout the year
· Collaborate with homeroom teachers to coordinate learning experiences
· Collaborate with the Lower School Director to include community singing in the Lower School’s weekly Town Meetings
· Collaborate with the performing arts department, PS-12
· Oversee the private piano lessons program
· Practice thoughtful, respectful, and effective classroom management techniques which support active learning and promote responsibility and pathways to self-management.
· Supports positive student behavior for all the Lower School students throughout the school day
· Attends all faculty and community meetings.
· Participates fully in the life of the school.
Salary is competitive with other independent schools in the Pacific Northwest. Compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package to employees and their families designed to provide choice, flexibility, and value. In addition to health (medical, dental, vision), life and disability insurance, and a flexible spending account, we offer participation in the Academy’s 403(b) retirement plan, including a generous employer contribution once eligibility is met, paid time off, tuition remission for immediate
· Bachelor’s degree (in Music or comparable degree)
· Preschool/elementary general music teaching experience
· Choral directing experience
· Piano proficiency for classroom instruction and basic music theory skills
· Effective classroom management skills
· Cultural competence, particularly in relation to curriculum development, and a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion
Preferred Qualifications and Traits:
· Guitar skills and/or instrumental teaching or performance experience
· Teaching credential or graduate degree
· Orff, Kod?ly, or Dalcroze training
If you are interested, please send:
1) a resume
2) a letter of interest
No phone calls or inquiries, please.
Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a national background screening and fingerprinting process.
Charles Wright Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/V/D.