ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS include the following. Other duties may be assigned
Leadership by Values
· Establish and maintain a high level of citizen confidence and support.
· Establish and maintain exceptional relationships with all internal team members and external stakeholders.
· Interviews, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates full time and seasonal golf course maintenance staff
· Schedules, administers, and monitors daily work assignments of 10-15 seasonal employees, providing direction and support as necessary.
· Provides assistance and/or support to the program staff and operations.
· Creates and supervises a comprehensive training program for all staff to ensure the highest quality maintenance standards are uniformly provided.
· Meets regularly with team members, key user groups, and stakeholders.
· Participates in and helps implement short and long term planning programs.
· Develop, plan, manage, and perform high quality maintenance for all aspects of the Sandy Hollow Golf Course Campus including the golf course, grounds, clubhouse, and buildings.
· Monitors and evaluates golf course conditions and inspects for insect and disease infestation, damage to the course, water conditions, and overall playability.
· Applies herbicides, fungicides, insecticides, and growth regulations and fertilizers per specified label rates to control insect and disease problems and to maintain healthy and vigorous turf.
· Readies the course on a daily basis to ensure maximum playability. This includes setting cups and tees, clearing debris, etc.
· Performs ground care activities including planting, cultivating, pruning and caring for flowers, shrubs, and trees, aeration of greens, tees, etc.
· Performs golf course maintenance and project activities including mowing, fertilizing, watering of tees, greens, fairways, and related areas.
· Plans a chemical and nutrient program for Greens, Tees, and if applicable; Fairways, Rough, Clubhouse lawns and no-mow areas
· Identifies weather conditions and/or turf conditions and makes adjustments to the chemical/nutrient program to make improvements or corrections
· Prepares and keeps records of all chemical and nutrient applications including the areas applied and the weather conditions at the time of application
· Performs general maintenance and repairs to buildings, including the clubhouse and the equipment inside. Does basic carpentry, plumbing, and minor electrical work.
· Performs critical processes to maintain the highest quality putting greens including mowing, rolling, aerification, and top dressing.
· Maintain bunkers to ensure they are both playable and fair.
· Organizes, schedules, and coordinates all contracted work. Maintains good working relationship with contractors.
· Manages and performs equipment repairs as required. Takes equipment apart and cleans the equipment.
· Oversees and performs the annual start up and shut down of the irrigation system ensuring maximum operating efficiency and appropriate preventive maintenance.
· Understands and maintains all aspects of the irrigation system. Works to keep the irrigation system running as needed with daily checks, repairs, scheduling and/or operation. Assists in repairing the irrigation system as needed.
· Oversees and implements the preventative maintenance program
· Coordinates with Course Manager on bid specifications for golf course equipment and supplies and makes Board recommendations as required.
· Execute the practices needed to achieve the highest standards in environmental sustainability
· Develops and executes the annual maintenance budget and operational plan, teaches and involves all team members in the process.
· Attends seminars and training to keep updated on the latest technology and advancements in golf course maintenance.
· Orders supplies, materials, and chemicals as needed to keep the golf course in the best possible condition.
· Monitors current and future inventory of supplies.
· Secures all buildings on a daily basis by making sure that all locks are in place and alarms are set. Turns off alarms and gas pumps in the morning to open up the shop and clubhouse
· Provides quality customer service to all patrons, guests, and other District employees.
· Ensures a superior customer experience in all interactions through outstanding service capabilities, knowledge, flexibility, and thoroughness.
· Quickly and effectively solves customer problems that ensure total satisfaction.
· In collaboration with the Human Resources Department, recruits team members for the operation.
· Monitors and evaluates the performance of team members and evaluates their performance.
· Manages staff by providing coaching, encouragement, direction to team members, and effectively address issues in accordance with District policies and procedures.
· Provides training and development opportunities for team members that enhances skills, knowledge and abilities that strengthens the District’s culture.
· Collaborates internally with operations to share information, direction, issues, concerns, solutions, etc.
· Leads with a servant leader style and approach when interacting with internal and external customers.
· Recommends and organizes team members and operations to meet current and future needs.
· Required to attend and participate in District meetings, including Rockford Park District Board meetings, when requested.
· Maintains a working knowledge of department safety procedures. Attend safety training programs and educational in-service trainings as required.
· Maintains an active membership in the GCSAA and the NWIGCSA (local chapter), participating in meetings and education opportunities when possible
· Prepares and annually maintains a golf course procedural manual; ensuring all staff members are familiar with its contents. Updates MSDS sheets as needed.
· Responsible to ensure staff is implementing all PDRMA procedures, policies, checklists, training, and documentation to meet all risk management requirements.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
· Excellent leadership and ability to build and lead the golf maintenance team
· Advanced knowledge of agronomy and turf grass management
· Knowledge of the rules and strategies of the game of golf
· Have great communication skills oral, written, and interpersonal
· Must possess current pesticides applicator license including turf and aquatics
· Must have a strong knowledge of flowers including both annual and perennial types
· Current knowledge of disease and insect control management
· Continued horticulture, landscaping, and irrigation training
· Ability to organize work schedules
· Knowledge of small engine repair
· Knowledge of trees, shrubs, plants, and pruning techniques
· Current federal, state, and local laws and regulations affecting the management of golf course operations
· Ability to maintain strong organizational skills
· Have excellent customer service skills
· Ability to travel as needed and maintain a valid driver’s license
Additional Salary Information: Medical, Dental and paid time off benefits
About Rockford Park District
For the Rockford Park District to be the best urban park and recreation system in North America, as measured by national standards and the citizens we serve.
To 'help people enjoy life' by providing a quality park and recreation system.
The Rockford Park District improves the quality of life for citizens by providing a vibrant and relevant park system which increases property values, stimulates economic development, decreases juvenile crime and improves our community’s health. A vibrant and relevant park system also protects the environment, employs hundreds of area teens, and brings our diverse community together in unity, through the common love of play.