Charles Wright Academy (CWA), located on a beautiful, wooded 107-acre campus, serves students in preschool through 12th grade. The only coeducational independent preschool-12 school in Tacoma, Washington, CWA provides challenging, college preparatory academics that prepare students to thrive in college and in life. Equally important is a wide array of experiential education, artistic, athletic, and service opportunities that promote students’ social-emotional development and provide avenues by which they discover and pursue their passions. Close, respectful, and trusting relationships between faculty and students result in an environment in which all community members embrace both the hard work and the joy inherent in the journey of intellectual and personal growth.
CWA is safely operating in an in-person/hybrid education model, prepared to adapt to remote learning for any part of the 2021-22 year that is needed. We have resources available for training and preparation for faculty in best practices in remote teaching and learning.
Charles Wright Mission Statement:To inspire active, joyful learning while nurturing and challenging our students to develop the character, creativity, and skills to successfully navigate the future with confidence.
This position is a full-time faculty appointment to teach fifth grade in the 2021-22 academic year. The two fifth grade-level classroom teachers collaborate extensively, plan together and often co-teach.
· Successfully implement the grade level curriculum, which includes place-based, project-based, outdoor, and experiential learning opportunities
· Collaborate with grade level teaching partners and specialists to develop integrated and meaningful learning experiences across domains
· Utilize innovative and flexible pedagogy to support and accommodate a diversity of abilities within the classroom.
· Demonstrate genuine enthusiasm for learning that Inspires students to participate and challenge themselves
· Provide and maintain a stimulating, safe classroom environment.
· Practice thoughtful, respectful, and effective classroom management techniques which support active learning and promote responsibility and self-regulation.
· Conduct ongoing assessments of student progress, and provide strategic interventions and appropriate challenge for students as indicated
· Communicate and collaborate with parents and families to support students’ growth.
· Support positive student behavior for all Lower School students throughout the school day.
· Attend all faculty and community meetings.
· Represent Charles Wright Academy in a positive manner with all constituencies.
· Participate fully in the life of the school.
Salary is competitive with other independent schools in the Pacific Northwest. Compensation includes a comprehensive benefits package to employees and their families designed to provide choice, flexibility, and value. In addition to health (medical, dental, vision), life and disability insurance, and a flexible spending account, we offer participation in the Academy’s 403(b) retirement plan, including a generous employer contribution once eligibility is met, paid time off, tuition remission for immediate dependents, and professional development.
The successful candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree; master’s degree is preferred. Candidate’s experience should show evidence of successful elementary teaching in either a public or independent school setting. Ideal candidates will be able to demonstrate experience in inquiry-based education. The candidate must have experience in dynamic, flexible pedagogical techniques. Familiarity with Google G-Suite for education and Mac hardware/systems is preferred. A commitment to diversity and inclusion work with a strong sense of cultural competency is essential. Personal qualities include the ability to inspire children, the capacity to work cooperatively with peers, and a joyful sense of humor.
If you are interested, please send:
1) a resume
2) a letter of interest
No phone calls or inquiries, please.
Employment is contingent on the successful completion of a national background screening and fingerprinting process.
Charles Wright Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer: M/F/V/D.