The Lower School Director is directly accountable to the Head of School and works with her as a member of the administration. Programs to supervise include prekindergarten, kindergarten and first through fourth grade.
The Lower School Director should be knowledgeable of using the best practices in developmentally appropriate instruction, hands on learning, and arts integration and cognizant of the importance of building a strong literacy framework that will be the foundation of learning and understanding.
This individual is to have a solid understanding of building relationships between students and adults. This individual must be outgoing, receptive and eager to cooperate with parents to promote each child's optimal growth and development. S/he should be highly organized and able to work independently, be flexible, creative, and collaborative. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required.
• Implement the Goals and Criteria of Lucy School education.
• Take responsibility for CCA/MSDE licensing requirements, and complete the necessary training as required. Plan and supervise summer camp programs.
• Serve as a member of the Admissions Committee
• Assist the Director of Facilities and Maintenance staff in overall maintenance of the Campus buildings.
• Meet with Head of School, and Team leaders weekly.
• Monitor the development and supervision of after school programs.
• Provide educational leadership and example.
• Implement administrative guidelines with regard to faculty employment and grievances.
• Supervise and evaluate faculty performance and classroom management, support professional growth with classroom observations and professional development according to yearly goals.
• Provide an environment conducive to academic, social, emotional and physical growth.
• Clarify, maintain and enforce discipline procedures in coordination with the administration, faculty and school-wide policies.
• Monitor student academic and individual growth by:
Visiting classes regularly and participating in assessment and evaluation of student’s developmental needs.
Referring children for further evaluation and assisting with appropriate interventions
Organizing and maintaining student records
Scheduling and attending regular level meetings with faculty and team leaders
Assist with the arrival and dismissal of students.
Oversee the Before and Aftercare program
Assist the Head of School in implementing, coordinating, and supervising community activities
• Support faculty in communicating personal and academic progress of students and oversee correspondences relating to student support programs, discipline and procedures.
• Facilitate additional support services when needed in conjunction with teachers and parents.
Applicants should submit the following to Chris Isleib, Head of School at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Cover letter indicating why they are particularly interested in and qualified for the position.
2. Current résumé.
3. Statement of educational philosophy and/or other supporting material (e.g., articles or writing samples).
4. Names, addresses and telephone numbers of three references. (We will obtain permission from candidate before contacting references.)
Lucy School is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse group of applicants.
1. B.S./B.A. in Early Childhood or Elementary Education or a related field (educational psychology or leadership) required
2. Five years of teaching or working in an early childhood or elementary program
1. A master’s degree in Education or a related field (educational psychology or leadership)
2. Seven-plus years of teaching or working in an early childhood or elementary program