The Facilities Services (FS) Department is responsible seven days a week, twenty four hours a day for maintenance and operations of all campus facilities which includes buildings, grounds, and utility systems. The FS Building Services subunit is tasked with the job of maintaining all on campus and many off campus locations to a certain level of APPA cleanliness. With the many events held at the University (football, basketball, concerts, etc.) it is the Building Services subunit's responsibility to ensure that University facilities are clean and presentable at all times.
The FS Building Services Superintendent is responsible for managing and overseeing the custodial staff of approximately 50 custodians, supervising assigned shifts, various zones, and the Student Union. The Superintendent must ensure that all buildings are completed in a timely fashion with the least amount of disturbance as possible and in the most cost effective manner.
Under the general supervision of the Director of FS Operations, the incumbent supports the mission of the University by providing leadership and practical custodial knowledge to academic and common use building custodial staff within the FS Building Services subunit. The Superintendent also supports the Facilities Services Department Senior Management team in assisting with duties including data entry, personnel distribution, evaluations, and coordination of essential department functions.
Supervision of custodial staff.
* Training of new and existing employees of techniques and knowledge necessary to perform at levels set by the University.
* Hires and sets performance goals, inspects on-going work, and reviews job completions.
* Manages stressful situations with professionalism and exercises sound judgment.
* Prepares reports and communications for the purpose of notifying FS Senior Management staff and other University stakeholders of essential information.
* Follows campus safety policies and helps educate employees of such policies.
* Keeps timesheet records, approves leave requests, and makes appropriate staffing changes to accommodate for absences.
* Maintains a professional attitude in communications with University employees, students, and members of the community.
* Has familiarity with University policies and procedures dealing with management of employees, especially union members.
* Creates work schedules and schedules custodians and maintenance to cover all special events day and night and weekends while providing them as much time off as possible.
* Supervises set-ups of special events and break-down/clean-up after events are finished in the buildings listed above.
* Coordinates with other Supervision to build teams to support special events at Neyland Stadium and Thompson Boling Arena.
* Uses facilities management data software for work order distribution, labor records, and inventory.
* Utilizes Compu-clean reporting system and swabs to determine cleanliness and reassign work as necessary.
* Monitors use of departmental equipment. Inspects and notifies the Director of needed replacement
* Notifies Director and FS Senior Management staff of emergencies, and helps coordinates appropriate response with trades, Office of Environmental Health, Safety, and Risk Management (EHS/RM), and Public Safety when necessary.
Internal Number: 220630
Our primary mission is to move forward the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate the citizens of the state of Tennessee, the nation, and the world. As the preeminent research-based, land-grant university in the state, UT embodies the spirit of excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative activity, outreach, and engagement attained by the nation’s finest public research institutions.