South Monterey County Joint Union High School District
Location: King City, California
Type: Full Time
Required Education: Masters
Salary: Competitive and Negotiable
The South Monterey County Joint Union High School District, Board of Trustees, is seeking a highly qualified Superintendent. The Board wishes to have the successful candidate assume the responsibilities of the position tentatively on January 3, 2022.
The Board has developed the following desired characteristics.
• Focus on student achievement / learning loss / social emotional needs of students as well as support services in the areas of Special Education, English Learners, Homeless and Foster Youth • Effectively communicate the Districts’ vision to drive performance
• Ability to build instructional leadership capacity
• Ability to make tough decisions when necessary and effectively communicate the reasons
• Ability to build a culture that ensures a safe learning environment for staff and students
• Excellent communication and listening skills; ethical, approachable and problem solver
• Culturally competent
• Master’s Degree or higher
• Principal and/or cabinet-level administrator experience preferred
• Valid California Administrative Services Credential
Submit complete application through Ed Join along with written response (one page) to prompt below:
Managing vision and purpose involves anticipating future trends, creating a compelling vision and communicating that vision, describe a situation that conveys your capability in this area.
About South Monterey County Joint Union High School District
The South Monterey County Joint Union High School District serves students living in the southern half of
the Salinas Valley, also known as “Steinbeck Country.” The District offers an exceptional working and
learning environment for students and faculty.
SMCJUHSD prides itself for its strong economic base in agriculture and its family centered community. An
hour drive from Carmel and Monterey, the District has a moderate year-round climate and is within easy
driving distance to many recreational, cultural, and educational opportunities.
Both Greenfield and King City are small rural, agricultural towns with approximately 17,000 people in
Greenfield and 14,500 people in King City in southern Monterey County. The community ranges
economically from the migrant farm workers to the large farmer/ranchers and agricultural packing
SMCJUHSD has one singular focus, our mission, our goal: Maximize student academic achievement in a
culture of caring. All of our resources, planning and preparation, instructional activities are designed to help
us attain this goal. We seek to provide students with engaging and meaningful instructional activities.
The District serve...s approximately 2,750 students and currently operates four schools, including two
comprehensive high schools, one continuation high school and one independent study school: King City
High School, Greenfield High School, Portola Continuation HS and Pinnacle Coastal Valley High School.
About 95% of the student body is primarily Hispanic or Latino with the second largest population being
White/Non-Hispanic. Approximately 22% of the students are Limited English Proficient with Spanish as the