Parsons School of Design, a college of The New School, seeks a full-time Manager in the School of Design Strategies (SDS) which consists of graduate and undergraduate academic programs in Strategic Design and Management, Integrated Design, Design and Urban Ecologies, Theories of Urban Practice and Transdisciplinary Design. SDS also is the home of the Parsons Scholars Program.
The Manager will work closely with the School Dean, Associate Dean, Program Directors and the Director of Parsons Scholars Program. They will also supervise the School of Design Strategies administrative team. The Manager will report to the Associate Dean for Academic Planning.
The New School is strongly committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and particularly seeks applications from members of underrepresented groups, as well as candidates who share this commitment.
● Working directly with the operations leadership team, to manage the hiring and training of the administrative team.
● Manage the administrative team within School of Design Strategies and oversee the workflow in the office. Including, but not limited to, coordination of office staffing and coverage by managing vacation requests.
● Supervising student workers delegating them as needed across the administrative team.
Assist the Dean and the Associate Dean of the School of Design Strategies with day to day operational tasks, including, management and tracking for operating and restricted funds.
Monitoring Reviewing monthly budget summaries working closely with the Associate Dean of Academic Planning.
● Staff and attend School Leadership Committee meetings including calendaring, agenda distribution, taking and distributing of meeting minutes.
Conduct and manage the annual performance appraisal process for the administrative staff.
● Develop and maintain annual planning calendar for the school including, but not limited to: key academic deadlines, standing meetings, and other annual events.
● Perform additional tasks as required.
The New School is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that promises diversity and tolerance in all areas of employment, education and access to its educational, artistic or cultural programs and activities. The New School does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, creed, sex or gender (including actual or perceived gender identity or expression or transgender status), sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, religion, religious practices, mental or physical disability, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, veteran status, marital or partnership status, or any other legally protected status.
● Bachelor's degree and minimum of three years of demonstrated experience with administrative team oversight and management.
● High level communication skills required.
Demonstrated experience working with different populations at a University including deans, faculty, students and staff.
Ability to work well under pressure, take initiative, and follow-through on multiple tasks while maintaining a high degree of accuracy, speed and poise.
● Excellent task-management, organizational and inter-personal service skills
● High level of proficiency in Google Drive, MS Office, and on-line database systems.
The New School, a leading university in downtown New York City, offers degree and nondegree academic programs in design, the social sciences, the liberal arts, management, the arts, and media. Students benefit from small classes, superior resources, and renowned faculty members who practice what they teach. Continuing education courses and public programs place the university at the center of New York’s cultural and intellectual life.